part 3 - prototyping
Collaborators: Tianyi Han, Chenghui Nan
In Part 3, we were organized into our final teams. We first revisited my Non-Random Voronoi Patterns as modules for the installation. We studied the connection details, materiality, and massings to begin to understand the potential for this system.
We quickly realized that we could exploit the various contradictions within the system to create an installation made up of a random constellation of floating objects. At the same time, this system leveraged the voronoi logic to create an easily fabricated system made up of a finite number of components.
This was the first module prototype, made of 3D-Printed nodes and piano wire.
For the next module prototype, we chose to cast the nodes out of concrete. In order to do this, we had to take a multistep process which began with 3D-Printing each unique node. Next we used a flexible mold-making rubber to produce negative molds of each unique node. Finally, we poured Rockite into the mold to produce a final copy of each unique node.
Notice the marks the 3D-Print leaves on the concrete; because of this, each node will have its own "fingerprint," being similar but not identical to its other copies.
The final step in the process involved joining the concrete nodes to form the final modules. In the original prototype this was done using piano wire; here we used clear extruded acrylic rods. We chose this material because the clear property would help the rods to disappear, while highlighting the "floating" nature of the concrete nodes.
The 1-Pass Module, complete with concrete nodes and clear acrylic rods.
The 2-Pass Module, complete with concrete nodes and clear acrylic rods.